NFL Alumni Group Licensing Agreement now available for all former players!

One of the most important changes to the mission of the NFL Alumni occurred when, in addition to its charitable work, it became an advocacy organization. In taking on this new mission, the NFL Alumni Association has embarked on an aggressive campaign to market former players and get us paid for appearances and the use of our images.

The NFL Alumni has begun making a Group Licensing Agreement (GLA) available to ALL retired players. Many former players have already signed the agreement and I encourage you to do the same.

Below I summarize the key points, but please refer to the actual GLA for the specific terms of the agreement. I would also suggest that you have an attorney review the agreement, especially if you have any reservations or concerns with the language or the meaning of the agreement.

The NFL Alumni GLA:

• Goes into effect when the likenesses of three or more veteran players are  utilized.

• Allows the NFL Alumni its affiliates to use former players’ likenesses for advertising, marketing, promotion, and/or publicity in any and all media.

• Is non-exclusive. In other words, you are allowed to sign other agreements with companies that want to use your name, image, etc., for marketing, promotion and publicity, but you need to be sure that the execution and performance of the NFL Alumni’s GLA does not violate or conflict with any contract or agreement you have already signed.

• Pays you 80% of the net proceeds for each use of your rights. The remaining 20% goes toward promoting the health and welfare of veteran National Football League players, charitable purposes, and NFL Alumni operations.

• Could potentially benefit alumni who sign but do not participate in any marketing opportunities. In the event that any portion of net revenues remains unallocated at the end of any year, the NFL Alumni will distribute the surplus equally to all GLA participants.

You may recall that the NFL Players Association previously tried something similar with former players. That situation ended in a class action lawsuit that was eventually settled out of court.

The NFL Alumni will not make the same mistakes.

I believe the NFL Alumni will do everything in their power to make this a successful marketing venture. The NFL Alumni has a lot of work to do, but it would help if they had a large number of players sign the GLA. The old saying, “there is strength in numbers” is important to the success of this undertaking.

There are companies currently negotiating with the NFL Alumni to market retired players and it would be a shame if you were left out because you did not sign an agreement. The way I see it, you having nothing to lose and everything to gain by signing the GLA.

I hope you will pass this information on to every former player that you know.

If you have questions about the GLA please contact the NFL Alumni at 877-ALUM-NFL or info@nflalumni.org.

You can download a copy of the agreement at this link: http://bit.ly/nfla_gla

After signing the document, send it to the address listed at the bottom of the agreement.

Advertisements

About Jeff Nixon

Jeff was a first team consensus All-American from the University of Richmond in 1978. He is 7th in NCAA history with 23 career interceptions. Played for the Buffalo Bills 1979-1984. Led the team with 6 interceptions in Rookie Year. Holds Bills record for 4 takeaways in a single game - 3 interceptions and a fumble recovery. Tied Bills record with four consecutive games with an interception. After 5 knee surgeries Jeff retired from pro football in 1985. He worked for 13 years (1988-2000) as the Youth Bureau Director for Buffalo and Erie County. He has worked for the past 11 years as the Youth Employment Director for Buffalo. Plays guitar and was voted best R&B guitar player by Buffalo Nightlife Magazine in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Posted on August 30, 2011, in NFL Alumni News. Bookmark the permalink. 7 Comments.

  1. THE AGREEMENT CAN NOT BE DOWNLOADED BECAUSE OF SOME TYPE OF DEFECT. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT. THE GLA IS A GREAT WAY TO MARKET THE GUYS, AND I WANT TO BE INCLUDED . THANKS .

  2. I am not sure what they may want me for, but I am all in.
    John Watson August 31, 2011

  3. Can you sign this GLA if you were part of the NFLPA GLA lawsuit?

  4. Jeff, I can’t seem to be able to sign the documant.

%d bloggers like this: